Why is it that when a skunk quietly scurries near us in the yard we jump back with a terrified expression on our faces? The answer is simple—because it’s a skunk! While these black, white striped creatures are naturally non-aggressive, if they fear for their own safety they will most likely spray a vile scent in your direction. Anyone unfortunate enough to have smelled fresh skunk spray will never forget it.
Since skunks are mostly nocturnal, they come out at night to forage for food and to find shelter. These animals can be spotted throughout the year but are most active during the warmer seasons like spring, then go dormant for a few weeks during the coldest part of winter. Regardless of whether you see a skunk out during the day or one is simply hanging out too close to your home, it is best to have it removed for everyone’s comfort. So, what are your skunk removal options in Greenville, SC?
- One of the best ways to prevent skunks from coming into your yard or garden is to rid your lawn and other foliage of grubs and insects. Skunks love snacking on these little critters, so it makes sense to rid your property of such inviting smaller pests.
- Use light to deter skunks. Skunks are nocturnal and have sensitive eyes, and therefore do not like bright light. Install a motion sensor floodlight or keep non-disruptive lights on at night to chase away skunks and other animals.
- Take a walk around your property and locate any spaces in the fence line that may allow skunks to enter your yard. Patch up open spaces with chicken wire, deer wire, or block them with big rocks.
- Don’t forget to check the space under your shed or deck. These areas are usually dark and desirable to skunks. Seal around lifted deck areas with chicken wire and to prevent skunks from digging under the wire, extend it outward from the lifted structure and stretch it over the ground.
- You can trap the skunk yourself in a skunk appropriate spring-loaded trap, then take it somewhere else for relocation. The obvious downside to this method is the stinky possibility that you could get sprayed if the skunk becomes frightened or feels threatened. Trap with caution and with respect to the live animal.
- There are also professional skunk removal options in Greenville, SC. Companies like A+ Wildlife Control specialize in the removal of uninvited wildlife and animals from your property in a safe and humane manner. Not only is A+ Wildlife Control committed to providing a quick and affordable quality service, you can count on our pros to use eco-friendly products that are effective and pet and child safe.
Remember that just because the weather has cooled down it doesn’t mean skunks are not still out and about. Be in tune to the presence of skunks year round, especially if you have curious children or pets, and take action if you think you may have a skunk problem.