Unfortunately, as most of you homeowners know, there are times when unwelcomed guests find a way into our homes. Whether it’s insects or animals, these critters are making their way into our homes but in Greenville, SC, wildlife removal from A+ Wildlife Control can help.
Although any type of animal can enter your home if given the opportunity, there are a few regulars that seem to make up almost 80 percent of animal break-ins.
1. Mice. Perhaps the most common of all the intruders, mice can find their way into homes even through the smallest of spaces. Holes as small as ¼ inch in diameter can be the perfect opportunity for mice to enter into your home. Although these tiny holes and crevices can be hard to find, there are warning signs to look for if you think there are mice in your house.
- Mice will leave behind 1/8-inch-long droppings as well as the distinct smell of urine.
- Noises at night, such as pitter patter inside your walls or up above in your attic.
- Holes gnawed in food boxes.
2. Rats. Rats are very similar to mice but are unable to fit through the tiny holes that mice can fit through. Rats are able to squeeze through holes as small as ¾ inch. What are some signs to look for if you think rats have gotten into your home?
- Similar to mice, rats will leave droppings, as well as the smell of urine.
- Look for black, greasy smudges around openings.
- Clumps of fur.
- Matted down insulation.
- Sounds of chewing on wood or squeaking at night.
3. Squirrels. Although seemingly cute and cuddly, these critters are not a guest many would like to have in their homes. Like mice and rats, squirrels can enter through smaller spaces that we don’t even notice. The opening can be as small as 2 ½ inches in diameter to give way for squirrels to enter into your home. How do you know a squirrel has gotten in?
- You will most likely hear scampering noises through the walls and ceilings.
- Droppings around 1-inch long.
- Piles of nuts left around the house.
How do these critters get in?
Mice and rats are ground-based animals that are more likely to enter at lower level openings. Problem areas for these types of critters are garages, basements, decayed sills or foundations and damaged or vacant drain pipes. These are parts of your house that should be checked regularly to avoid unwanted pests.
Squirrels are a different story, due to the fact that they have the ability to climb. Although they are capable of getting in through ground-level spaces, squirrels can also enter in where dormers meet your roof or where roof shingles overhang the façade of the house.
How do I get rid of them?
When it comes to mice and rats, there are steps you can take to get rid of them that do not require professional backup. The most obvious step to getting rid of critters is a call to a company dealing in professional wildlife removal in Greenville, SC.
If you find that your home has been invaded by critters and you aren’t sure what to do, don’t hesitate to contact A+ Wildlife Removal in Greenville, SC. Fully licensed and experienced, our professionals will be more than happy to help solve the immediate problem, as well as prevent future intruders from getting into your home.